Quiz : Are You Depressed?
Take out a scrap piece of paper and jot down "yes" or "no" to the following fifteen questions. Be honest.
1. Do you have a very poor self-esteem?
2. Do you criticize yourself a lot and have feelings of worthlessness and guilt?
3. Do you usually have a pessimistic attitude?
4. Do you feel sad all the time?
5. Are there times you feel sad for no reason at all?
6. Do you have an overwhelming sense of hopelessness?
7. Are you uninterested in activities that you used to find enjoyable?
8. Do you suffer from chronic fatigue, despite getting an adequate amount of sleep?
9. Do you have trouble sleeping?
10. Are you very irritable?
11. Has your appetite suddenly changed, and you're finding that you're eating a lot more or a lot less than usual?
12. Is it very hard for you to get out of bed in the morning?
13. Do you lack motivation for everything you do?
14. Do you have difficulty thinking and concentrating?
15. Do you have thoughts about suicide and death?
Now count up the number of times you wrote down "yes." If you answered "yes" to five or more of these questions, and have suffered from these symptoms for a considerable amount of time, make an appointment to see a psychologist as soon as possible. A psychologist will be able to evaluate your symptoms and tell you whether you may be suffering from depression or are just under a lot of stress.